Pages

Thursday, February 14, 2013

Philly Play Date

While I was pregnant, my husband (Matt) and I talked a LOT about what we thought I would do once the baby was here. Stay home for a standard maternity leave, take the year off (which I'm lucky enough to do with my job), stay home indefinitely, or work part time teaching fitness classes. I leaned towards staying at home for at least a year, and he agreed. Once C (short for Connor) was here, I just couldn't fathom being away from him all day and for someone else to get all of the moments together with him. I feel very thankful to be able to stay home during the day, and get out a little to teach fitness.

The days can seem monotonous though if you don't get out. Luckily for me, I happen to have a handful of girlfriends that had babies around the same time I did- 3 within a month of me! Each week I try and plan out at least one get together. I'm a big planner in all aspects of my life- meal planning, workout planning, and now mommy planning.

One of my very best friends, Beth, had her son 1 month and 6 days after Connor (not that I was counting or anything!) and we have high hopes for our little guys to be best friends too. Since they are so close in age, it's amazing to see C do something (coo, grab, reach, etc) and then Ray do it within a few weeks. Yesterday C and I ventured down to the city to visit with Beth and Ray. The weather was breezy but sunny enough that we could bundle up for a walk on Kelly drive. Us mamas got to talk while the boys napped- although not as long as we had hoped for!

Later, we were all hanging out in the living room, Ray in his rock n play and Connor in my lap. I brought C over to Ray to say hi, and my heart literally melted when C reached down to Ray's hand, and Ray reached back for C's. Watching them look at each other while holding hands was too much for me, and I may have teared up a little. The boys won't tell anyone though :)

Note the matching top and pants- their moms have very similar taste!
Being a mom is amazing, and can really test your strength at times. Ray was in the hospital for six weeks after he was born, and Beth showed me what true strength was. Nothing matters except the health and happiness of your little one, and when I watch our boys together, I know those two things are good. Both are happy, and both are healthy.

No comments:

Post a Comment