Pages

Friday, February 22, 2013

Chili

One of my favorite meals to throw together quickly is a pot of Chili. It's great for leftovers, and you can always put more veggies into it to get a nice round meal. Although I change the recipe a little bit each time I make it, here's my basic version. Add in any extra veggies you have lying around, and if you like it spicy, throw in some hot sauce or Sriracha!

I went shopping for the ingredients last night after teaching class and was very happy to find one of my favorite seasonal products:

So excited, that I bought almost every bottle they have. No, I can't just wait until next holiday season when this comes back out. Don't judge me!

My girlfriend Beth was coming over with her son Ray, so I wanted something I could put together quickly in the morning and let simmer until lunch.

Again, a cute sous chef helps, but is not required.

Chili

2 T olive oil
3T chili powder
1t cumin
1t seasoning salt (you can always add more later)
1t dried oregano
2t garlic powder

1 medium onion diced
1 red pepper diced
1 zucchini diced
1.5 lbs organic beef (you can also use turkey)
1 28 ounce can crushed tomatoes
About 14 ounces water (half of the crushed tomato can)
16 ounce can tomato paste
1 14 ounce can kidney beans

-Put the olive oil in the bottom of a heavy pot on medium high
-Add in the onion, pepper, and zucchini until soft


-Sprinkle spices over the veggies until fragrant 
-Push the veggies over to one side of the pot, add the meat and brown
-Add in crushed tomatoes, water,  kidney beans, and tomato paste
-Bring all ingredients to a boil, and then reduce to a simmer
-Simmer at least an hour, let it go longer if you have time
-Turn off the pot for about 20 minutes before serving (this allows the flavors to really meld together while cooling off so you can taste each flavor, not just HOT)


Serve with any toppings you like. We usually do: shredded cheese, diced onions, Sriracha sauce, and sometimes I make cornbread for the side. Kettle sweet potato chips are great with it too!

No comments:

Post a Comment