Pages

Monday, February 4, 2013

Fitting It In

It seems impossible to begin my first post without some lame introduction of sorts. Who am I? In the most concise terms, I'm a new mom, fitness instructor, and teacher. My son C was born almost five months ago and like every other mother, I cannot believe how the time is flying by!


Motherhood has been an amazing change for me. It really is crazy how your life changes in ALL aspects. Simple things, like going to the gym, now prove to be pretty difficult at times. I'm finding ways of getting my workouts in. I can always head to the gym when my husband gets home from work, but a lot of times, I just don't want to. It's really nice to have our "family time" at night, especially since he's gone all day. Bringing C to the gym daycare was something I thought would be WONDERFUL! Someone will watch him for an hour while I pound out a few miles on the treadmill? Great! The reality is, from 9-2 C is rarely up for more than an hour and a half before he needs another nap. By the time I get him all bundled up in the car and at the gym, I'm inevitably going to mess up his next nap. I didn't realize how dangerous this was until having a baby. You do NOT mess with nap time unless you want to unleash the inner demon/overtired baby screams. No thank you.

One way I've found to get the workouts in is creating quick power circuits that I can do while he naps. My group fitness classes are all 1 hour long, and pretty tough in my opinion. What I've done for my "power nap workouts" is take the hardest cardio/strength moves and combine them with various other exercises. You can pick the number of rounds you do to make the workout longer or shorter. If C is doing a nice long nap, I'll often add some ab work on the mat. 

Today's Power Nap Circuit

5 rounds
20 Burpees
1 minute plank

This one was really quick, but by the end I was totally out of breath and sweaty. Try it out and let me know what you think!



No comments:

Post a Comment