Pages

Monday, October 7, 2013

Pasta Fagioli Soup



Fall is my favorite time of year. I love the cooler temps and pretty foliage, and I love being able to make a one pot meal that is super easy and tastes amazing.

My girlfriend Alia gave me this recipe. It's meant to be done in the slow cooker, but mine is pretty small, and I realized early on (after throwing a bunch of ingredients in) that it wouldn't fit. I threw everything into my big soup pot and brought it to a boil, reduced it to low, and let it cook for hours on the stove.

This was so good, and will be great for leftovers throughout the week. Now that I'm out teaching 2 (soon to be 3) nights a week, I like to have something easy for Matt to heat up for dinner.

I've also done a little fall decorating around the house. Trader Joe's has mini pumpkins and squash for on 69 cents. I bought a bunch and put them around pillar candles on my dining room table.

 
On our buffet table in the dining room, I added a glass container with fake artichokes and wine corks. I finally hung my favorite (target) missoni prints. They were such a steal, and I don't know why I didn't think to hang them there. It's the perfect spot! 
 

 
 
I found these cute little glass figurines for my mantel.
 
 
Enjoy the soup!
 
Pasta Fagioli
 
1 lb lean ground beef
1/2 red onion, chopped
1 C carrots, chopped
2 celery stalks, chopped (I used 4)
2 (14.5 oz) cans diced tomatoes with juice
1 (15 oz) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1 (15 oz) cannelini beans, rinsed and drained
4 C beef broth (I always use low sodium)
1 jar prepared pasta sauce
2 t oregano
1 T hot sauce
1/2 t salt
1/4 t pepper
1/2 C dry pasta, add at the end of cooking time until done
 
Use a 6 quart or larger slow cooker, cut the recipe in half, or cook on the stovetop.
 
Brown the meat in a pan, drain well. While meat is cooking, chop up the veggies, add to the crock pot or large soup pot. Drain and rinse the beans and add to the pot. Add diced tomatoes with juice. Add in pasta sauce, beef broth, and seasonings. Once drained, add beef. Cook on low for 6-8 or high for about 4 hrs. Every crock pot is different, so keep an eye on your soup and taste to see when you think it's done.
 
This recipe is from my friend Alia, who originally found it on abcnews.com



No comments:

Post a Comment